- store cooked food above raw food
- clean and defrost the refrigerator and freezer on a regular basis
- check the refrigerator, freezer and cool room temperatures regularly
- keep the opening and closing of the fridge or freezer to a minimum
- regularly check food, in particular packaged food items, for signs of dampness, expired use-by dates, dented or rusty cans, holes in packaging or signs of pest infestation
- cover, label and date the food on delivery
- rotate the food stock by using the first in-first out rule
- tell your supervisor or manager if you notice a pest problem in the storage area.